Monday, July 4, 2011

Guest Post from Poekitten

Megan's gone on vacation and asked for guest bloggers, so here I am! I'm Poekitten and I blog at Many Waters. She gave me free reign about my topic. It's finally summer here in the PNW (Pacific Northwest) so I'm going to share with you some of my favorite things about summer!

Warmth
I hate to be cold. I'm not a lover of A/C (unless it's in the 90+ with high humidity!) I love the sun and the warmth it brings. PNW summers start a little late for me but once the heat arrives I'm happy. I still have my winter clothes out cause you never know when we're going to get a chilly rainy day!

Longer Days
I love that the days are longer.  There are times when it still throws me that it's light at 9pm.  I love it.  Dinner tends to be later in the summer since I usually have no idea what time it is.   I don't love the early time the sun comes up since we don't have curtains on our windows. We're planning on fixing that but until then...I'm up with the birds.

Grilling
Winter can be pretty mild here so we can grill all year long, but there's nothing like grilling in the summertime.  We love grilling and then enjoying it outside on our deck.  We love grilled chicken, hot dogs, brats, hamburgers, asparagus...I could go on.  I love having the windows & sliding door open and having the deliciousness wafting in.  Potato salad makes an appearance as a side dish pretty frequently around here.

Dinner at Ocean Shores
The Great Outdoors
Living in WA, we are surrounded by beauty.  We love spending as much time as we can outside.  We partial to the beach, especially Fort Worden and Point No Point.  We love going down the coast and spending time at Ruby Beach or Ocean Shores.  Campfires on the beach...life doesn't get any better than that! 


Flowers and Gardens
I love the smell of lilacs and roses.  We have both around our house, along with St. John's wort and whatever I plant in the flower box.  We also just put in a garden this year.  We're loving watching things grow though I'm getting impatient cause the only thing growing is sugar snap peas. I can't wait till we have more zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes and carrots than we know what to do with!  Oh...don't forget about the blackberries!  We have tons of blackberry bushes around us and we love picking them!  We go on "berry walks" and we'll both bring along mixing bowls and fill them up.  We can eat them all in one night while playing Mario Kart.  I did freeze some last year and I'm hoping to make jam this summer.

Those are just a few of the things I love about summer.  
What do you love about summer?

Megan, thanks so much for letting me take over your blog for the day. Hope you're having a great time!

No comments: