Thursday, March 25, 2010

Big Move Ahead

Okay, so I have been wanting to write but not sure what to write about. I was inspired by Hellcat Betty to write about my military story but not ready to do that yet. I called a Real Estate Agent today and so that is really what is on my mind. MOVING!

Adam and I have been married for 4 years and 2 months and although he has PCS'ed (Permanent Change of Station) a couple of times to go to school (Ft. Lee, VA) or to go to MITT training (Ft. Riley, KS) plus deployment I always stayed in Killeen. Me having a job has always been more important than me going to live with him working minimum wage for 6 months. Now we have an opportunity to be together uninterrupted for 2-3 years! The catch? It is in Korea. I thoroughly enjoyed Korea when I went to visit at Christmas time. Sure, it was crowded, cold and they are BAD drivers but it is really pretty. It is an opportunity of the lifetime especially if it is going to be on someone else's dime. All this doesn't stop me from being stressed.

Being a military spouse (milspouse) is a damn hard job. Who can deny that being away from your spouse for long periods of time wouldn't be hard. And most of the time people only think about being away from your spouse for the deployments but what about TDY's and schools. They all add up. I said we have been married for 4 years and 2 months and together for 6 years 6 months. Of all that time he has been away for 44 months... that is 3 years and 8 months. Over half the time we have been together and almost as long as we have been married. So this Korea assignment is going to be an opportunity for us to be together NON-STOP for 24-36 months. You can't turn that down no matter what the cons may be, including the stress of getting a household with 3 dogs ready to move to a foreign country all by yourself.

I have such a long to-do list before this move. Thankfully, Adam is coming home Apr 1 and will be home for the whole month. We will be able to whittle away at the list and be a lot more ready to move. On top of the to-do list the move reminds me I will be on the other side of the world from my family and closest friends. Although I have gotten used to be thousands of miles away from them this is a whole new ballgame. PLUS, I have been tossing out the idea of having a baby and that may just happen in Asia. AHH! Mom is not a happy camper about that but we already know that if we do plan for a baby in Korea we will have to make sure mom is there for me. My hubby is a very smart (and supportive man).

OH! And then there is school. I am teaching the Exit Level TAKS class (it isn't officially called that but that is what it is)... I have all the kids who have never passed a TAKS test before or who are borderline kids. I have to say I love these kids WAY more than I love the "regular" kids. They add more stress to my life in so many more ways but their triumphs are so much more sweeter. We have our TAKS test on April 28 (which is also the day Adam goes back to Korea). After that I am taking a few days off to go to Vegas with my "sister" Amber and not think about moving or teaching... pure stress relief. Then it is back to getting ready to move. UGH!

Anyway, if anyone has some AWESOME "I'm Moving to a Foreign Country" tricks and tips for me please share. OR any moving destress clues too.

Thanks.
Love, MW

No comments: