Thursday, September 16, 2010

(Semi-Homemade) Torcettis

I really wanted to to use one of my husband's specialties, chicken teriyaki, but I couldn't get his permission even though he did say, resigned, "You are going to use it anyway," but I want to get his permission and have him make it again so I can see the proportions.  It is very good though.  Instead I am going to post this easy Torcetti recipe from my mom.  She found it in a magazine or newspaper and it is a semi-homemade take on the Italian favorite.
A little background on the Torcetti, we had them at my wedding, they were at my best friend's wedding, and they are everywhere in my hometown at Christmas.  They are good little cookies that look like rememberance ribbons.  They are great to eat with coffee.  Mmm.

Not my picture but it gives you an idea what they look like.
TORCETTIS
  • 1 pkg yeast
  • ¼ cup warm milk
  • 2 tbls sugar
  • 1 ¼ cups yellow cake mix (or whatever kind you want to use, recipe calls for 1 Jiffy yellow cake mix if you can find them)
  • 3 sticks melted butter (cooled to room temperature).
  • 1 teasp. Baking powder
  • 2 tbls vanilla
Combine yeast, warm milk and sugar; let yeast dissolve.

Combine all ingredients and add yeast mixture until well mixed. Dough will be stiff, cover with paper towel and let rise for 45 minutes.

Pinch small amount of dough roll in hands to about 6 inches place in bowl of sugar lay on ungreased cookie sheet and cross ends like a horseshoe shape or roll into small balls and roll in sugar and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until firm and golden on the bottom.



This is for Recipe Swap Thursday over at Prairie Story so check it out.

No comments: