Thursday, July 28, 2011

{My attempt to make} Chili Colorado in the Crockpot

Okay, I have been wanting to make Chili Colorado and have yet to find a good recipe and all the ones I have read have been so different from each other I have no clue.  So, I just started cooking.  Here is what I did.  I will update after we eat tonight and let you know how it tastes.
The crockpot: (recipe to follow on blog) on Twitpic
Ingredients

  • 2 pounds beef, cut in 1" pieces
  • 1 can RoTel
  • 16 oz Tomato Sauce
  • 1 - 4.5 oz can green chiles, chopped
  • 1 small onion diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, diced (I like to smash them and then dice them)
  • 1 cup beef stock, broth, whatever you have
  • Chili Powder, to taste
  • Garlic Powder, to taste
  • Cumin, to taste
  • Flour
  • Oil
What I Did:
  1. Sweat the onion and garlic and put to the side.
  2. In a gallon baggie put flour and garlic powder to coat the beef cubes.
  3. Use oil to brown the beef, put in to the crockpot when browned.
  4. Use the beef broth (I used bouillon) to boil out the golden bits on the bottom of the pain from browning the meat.  Use a spoon to sort of scrape and get them off the pan.  The broth will boil and steam (don't burn yourself) and then thicken a little.
  5. Add all of the other ingredients to the thickened liquid, mix thoroughly and then season with Chili Powder and Cumin
  6. Add sauce to the meat in the crockpot and stew on low.  (I am cooking it for about 5 hours).
I will let you know how it tastes later since I just made it.

No comments: