Friday, August 12, 2011

I Have Sponsored a Woman from a War-Torn Region

A while back a friend of mine had posted that she had sponsored her second woman from Afghanistan on Women for Women International.  I was intrigued.  I only had a second to glance around at the site but it never left my mind.  I wanted to look in to this more.

Today, I had some time while researching vacations to finally take a look at the site.  I felt it calling to me.  I think being a spouse of a soldier made this even more important to me.  I began looking around the site.  To sponsor a woman it costs a $30 one time admin fee and then $30 a month will go to your "sister" that you sponsor.  This money will be used by your "sister" to pay for necessities for herself and her family (with some of the money going to rights awareness, education and training).

Once you are paired with your "sister" you will receive a packet about her and you can begin corresponding with her, via snail mail or through the website's portal.  There were many letters on the site from sponsors and their "sisters" and this is what got me.  These women need moral support and inspiration almost, if not more, than they need the monetary support.  Women's rights and struggles always pull at my heart.  My aunt is part of Soroptomist International which is a philanthropic group who supports (and sponsors) women and I have always wanted to be a part of that group but have never lived in an area that had it.

If you are interested check out their website.  You can sponsor a woman from Afghanistan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Iraq, Kosovo, Nigeria, Rwanda and Sudan.  I simply chose "where it is need most" so it will be a surprise when I get my packet.  I know, by doing this, I will not only be helping a "sister" in the world but she will help me too.

No comments: