Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Don't Cry Mrs. Willingham


Finishing my last few days here in Korea.  It is bittersweet. I am ready to be back in what Adam calls "the land of freedom" but there's so much I am leaving behind. I never thought I would care but I do.

June 8 was the last day of school and we had a half day on the books.  Part of that was an assembly. Our headmaster had all of the teachers stand so that the students could thank them.  I had been sitting with the 10th graders and while I stood there looking at all of the students waving and smiling it hit me.  I wasn't going to see them again... And I had tears come to the surface. I would've been fine if I hadn't heard one of my 8th grader yell out, "don't cry mrs. Willingham."  We all know that let's the tears fall... And I cried. I sat back down and laid my head on one of my precalc 10th graders shoulders. These are some of the best young adults i will ever meet.. Ugh... I am crying now.  I don't remember much after that but when the assembly ended all of my students surrounded me and held my hand while I cried.  Many of them cried too. We all ended it with hugs.  It meant so much to me to have them all there consoling me.  I have never had students affect me in this way.  It is just amazing... This is why I became a teacher.

On a brighter note, we have been approved for the house we love in Spokane. With me not having a job yet... I hate the US economy right now... Never thought a MATH teacher would struggle... I was sweating it but it all worked out and we got an amazing deal thanks to my bro. If anyone needs a real estate agent on Washington state I have one for you.

We have one more full day here.... Gonna go to dinner with a student's mom tomorrow. It as been an amazing 2 years. I have forever been changed by these people and this culture. As frustrating as it can be I think everyone should come here at least once.

1 comment:

Carlee, Little Sloth said...

So I know I am almost a year late on this post! But thank you so much for posting it. My husband is thinking there is a very likely he will get stationed in Korea and I was worried. But reading about your experience has made me feel so much better. Thank you so much for sharing!! Seriously.
Carlee