Monday, July 23, 2012

In My Thirties

I saw this post over at Chambanachik and it is based on the article in Glamour, "30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30."  I loooved it so I wanted to expand on it myself!


By 30, I "should" have...
1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come.
I don't have a boyfriend that I would go back to we did break up for good reasons even if I didn't think so at the time.  BUT there is at least one that I have wondered what if things had lasted longer.  Most all of my ex-boyfriends show me a little bit of something in myself that I have come a long way from.  They are exes for a reason.

2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family.
Oh yeah! Adam and I have some awesome furniture that we bought together... brand new.

3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour.
Yes, I do.  I have a couple LBD's as well as a big closet full of clothes... and shoes.

4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying.
Yes, yes, and yes... I LOVE accessories... and having lived in Korea you can get them easy and for cheap!
This was actually a gift.
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond.
I had a great childhood!  My parents were awesome, my friends were amazing, and growing up in a small town is the best!

6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age.
I have many stories that start with "This one time when I was..." some juicier than others but all as awesome as I am!


7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age -- and some money set aside to help fund it.
Adam and I have our future laid out... and we have plans in place.  We are planners.

8. An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account -- all of which nobody has access to but you.
I share a bank account with Adam but the rest is for only me!

9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded.
I have a kick butt resume from being an Engineer to a Teacher with so many skills I have to pick and choose which to keep.

10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry.
I have amazing friends.  All of them make me laugh til I cry but they are also always there to confide in too.  Friends are second only to my family.  They are so important to have in life.











11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra.
I am an Engineer so of course I have tools... OH and Sears has pretty pink ones (don't know how good they are but they work)!  I have a few black lace bras... they are as important as your LBD.

12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it.
I think some of my purses fall in to this category but mostly my car... I love cars.

13. The belief that you deserve it.
Hell yeah!  I deserve the world.  Everything I want, need and could ever wish for!

14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30.
It is all prelim but is there.

15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better.
I love my career.  It isn't what I ever thought I would be doing but being a teacher is amazing.  I chose it as a band-aid and found out it was what I was meant to do.  It is so funny how things work out that way.



By 30, you should know...
1. How to fall in love without losing yourself.
I am very good at sticking up for myself... sometimes I am too good and need to learn how to not be so stubborn.  Loving is about giving and taking even when it isn't easy.

2. How you feel about having kids.
I think we finally came to a consensus on this.  We want 1... before we are too old.

3. How to quit a job, break up with a man, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship.
Yep, although I haven't broken up with a man in decades.

4. When to try harder and when to walk away.
This is always hard for everyone but "you need to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, and know when to walk away."

5. How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next.
Kissing is fun.

6. The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town.
It always amazes me when people don't know who governs our country... I know some of my great-grandmothers names but both my grandpa's moms names are blank... as for a tailor - I just moved.

7. How to live alone, even if you don’t like to.
Having a husband in the military helps you figure this out fast.

8. Where to go -- be it your best friend’s kitchen table or a yoga mat -- when your soul needs soothing.
I love this one.  It is so important to know when to talk it out or when to work it out!  (Although, I am more of a talker.)

9. That you can’t change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents.
I have never had an issue with this so I didn't need to learn it.

10. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over.
Actually mine was pretty damn perfect but I wouldn't go back.  I like being an adult... minus having bills.

11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love.
You have got to know your line in the sand.  Now I am singing Meatloaf... "I would do anything... but I won't do that."

12. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long.
Oh boy! Yeah, you got to be good to your body... especially in your thirties.  Hangovers really suck now.

13. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally.
I just recently learned this.  I am an open book so it really sucks when you have to hold your cards to your vest around people who you just can't trust.  I hate it.  I wish everyone was open like me and not having hidden agendas.

14. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault.
Apologies only have meaning if you mean it... wow! I  know people who think that apologies are just sad attempts at putting band-aids on the situation BUT I only apologize when I am sorry.  I don't want to sully my intentions.

15. Why they say life begins at 30.
I laughed once when I heard a guy say, "30 is the new 20."  I still don't believe that because your 20s is all about finding out who you are but your thirties are all about BEING THAT PERSON.  Although I have moments when I am like "what the heck am I doing?" they aren't like they were in my 20s.  I rarely knew up from down when I was in my early 20s.  It was a trip but one I had to take.

What do you think?  Do you have what you need have and know for your thirties? 

No comments: